Who is eligible to buy a resale HDB flat
Housing Development Board (HDB) was created with the intention of making housing affordable for Singaporeans and Permanent Residents. As such, there are many rules and restrictions which you have to qualify before you can purchase a HDB flat.
You have to fall into one of the following categories:
(a) Public Scheme: Parent(s) + child(ren) family.
- My mother wants to buy a flat with me.
- My father wants to buy a flat with my mother and me.
- My father wants to buy a flat with my mother.
If you include your children as owners, they can pay for the flat using their cpf too. This option is not advisable if your children intend to get married someday.
(b) Fiance/Fiancee Scheme: Couples intending to get married.
- We are getting a new flat, and will ROM before we get our keys in 3-5 years time.
- We are getting a resale flat, and will ROM before or when we get our keys.
(c) Single Citizen Scheme: Any Singaporean 35 and above, or a single orphan above 21 can buy alone.
- I’m already 36 and I want my own bachelor’s pad (flat).
- I’m 36 and my partner is 35. We want to live together in our own flat but we can’t get married, or don’t intend to.
- I’m an only child and above 21, but my parents are no longer alive. I want to live independently in my own flat.
(d) Non-Citizen Spouse Scheme: Singaporean marrying a foreigner.
- My wife/husband is malaysian/vietnamese/chinese/thai/(insert country), and we want a home in Singapore.
(e) Non-Citizen Family Scheme: Singaporean + Non-citizen parents/children
- I’m a Singaporean but my parents/kids are not, and we want a home in Singapore.
(f) Orphans Scheme: An orphan and his siblings.
- I’m above 21, and my parents are no longer alive. I’m not an only child and wish to live with my siblings in our own flat.